Thank you for your interest in our university. All information is made available simultaneously in the German and English languages. But please note that the programs you are currently reading up on are taught in German as the main language of instruction. In case of application you have to prove sufficient knowledge in German amongst others.

Implementation of the Admission Procedure

Notification of Admission

Applicants "type 1": If you have got an offer of admission (Zulassungsangebot), you can decide whether you are accepting the place offered to you by the end of "Koordinierungsphase II (DoSV)". After you have accepted the place you will find the notification of admission (Zulassungsbescheid) here.  

Applicants "type 2°: If you have received a notification of admission (Zulassungsbescheid), you must state within 10 days (cutoff period) of receipt whether you are accepting the place offered to you. If you miss the deadline, your admission will lapse, you will forfeit the place, and it will be offered to someone else.

Notification of Rejection

If you have not been allocated a place in accordance with the selection procedure or are excluded from the admission procedure on formal grounds, you will be sent a notification of rejection. Important note: If you were rejected because not enough places were available, you will still take part in the moving-up procedure.

Moving-Up Procedure

Places that are not taken up - because the offer was not accepted or the admission was forfeited - are allocated to the applicants who are next in line on the waiting list up to four weeks after lectures begin. Departures from the order on the waiting list may be undertaken if that should appear necessary to fill all available places without delay.

Important notes for the enrolment

Enrolment deadline

Once you have received notification of admission you must enrol as a student by the specified deadline with all the documents required. You may enrol in person or postally. If you fail to meet the deadline you can expect to be refused admission in accordance with § 25 Section 5 of the TUHH's enrolment regulations even though you have been offered a place. You will find the necessary information about the enrolment period in your admission letter.

If you gain admission by moving up the list, you must submit your enrolment application and necessary documents within the cutoff period usually. The deadline will be specified in the notification of admission. If your documents are incomplete you will be refused enrolment.

Documents required

Notes concerning documents that have to be submitted by you to TUHH after being admitted can be found in the application form for enrolment, at least:

  • an officially certified photocopy of your university admission entitlement ("Abitur" certificate, school leaving certificate from your home country e. g.)
  • a proof of health insurance (see here, too)
  • if applicable: an officially certified certification of military/civilian service or that you are caring for family members
  • if applicable: officially certified documents to former studies
  • if applicable: an officially certified proof of language knowledge (for persons with a not german school leaving certificate and applicants for GES please take a look at this)
  • for applicants from the People's Republic of China, Vietnam or Mongolia: an APS certification or APS certificate (original)

Notes to services and caring for a familiy member
Anyone who has done or is doing civilian service in a country other than Germany as per § 14 b ZDG will need to submit a certification of his or her service period issued by the employing organization. Anyone who has served or is serving a voluntary social or ecological year will need to submit a certificate issued by the employing organization. A certificate issued by the operational unit will not suffice. Caring for a child or another family member can only be recognized if it involves work to a similar degree and of a similar intensity to other civilian services. If you are caring for someone under the age 18 or another family member in need of care for a period of up to three years you must submit a written assurance that it is a full-time activity that no-one else was available to perform. In the case of child care you must also submit documentation to substantiate the need for care, such as birth certificate, residential registration card, medical certificate). If you are caring for another family member you must submit a medical certificate specifying the need for care and the degree of care required along with a residential registration card for the person in question. The documents submitted must substantiate credibly that you are providing the care required to the extent that is specified.

Official certifications

In Germany, official certifications are available from local government offices, a notary, the issuing institution or a federal government ageny that is entitled to use an official seal. Certifications issued by other agencies, such as a health insurer, the AStA or a language school, are not recognized in Hamburg. Abroad, you will only come by certifications that are officially recognized in Germany at German embassies or consulates. Church certifications will in no circumstances be recognized.

For certificates from abroad:
Please note that foreign certifications can only be recognized if they are done by official bodies that are authorized to issued them. If you are already in Germany officiall certifications can also be made by the embassy or consulate of your home country. If your certificates are not in German or English, you must also attach translations by an officially authorized translator. Only translations into German or English will be accepted. The translations and photocopies of the originals must be fixed to each other so as to make it clear without doubt that the one relates to the other.