Thank you for your interest in our university. All information is made available simultaneously in the German and English languages. But please note that the programs you are currently reading up on are taught in German as the main language of instruction. In case of application you have to prove sufficient knowledge in German amongst others.
How to gain admission to a Master's program
Thank you for your interest in studying at TUHH. All Master's programs at TUHH (with the exception of International Engineering and Management) are admission-free, i. e. if you have formally completed the application procedure correctly and are suitable for the subject; you will also receive an admission. An application is possible for all German-language Master's programs in both the winter and summer semesters (with the exception of International Engineering and Management).
Admission requirement for a Master's program is a qualifying degree of a Bachelor of Science or an equivalent degree from a corresponding academic program. The degree will be recognized as qualificatory if the combination of subjects and the shown scientific performance will give reason to expect a successful completion within the regular duration of the Master's program.
The purpose of the application procedure is to determine this fit in combination of subjects and the shown scientific performance of content. Since the requirements for professional aptitude are very strict and based on our TUHH-own Bachelor's programs in terms of content, we recommend that you check in advance whether you are suitable for a course of study at TUHH. You can carry out this check yourself at any time, either by using the ECTS forms or by going through the preliminary check.
All applicants have to apply online. How and which documents have to be uploaded during the application process depends on where you have obtained or will soon obtain your university degree qualifying for the Master's program (e. g. Bachelor's degree). You will be guided step by step through the application process and asked to provide the relevant documents. Paper documents are not required. As a rule, we require the documents listed below from you for the handling of the procedure. Please inform yourself in good time about the language requirements in these programs. Persons with foreign pre-qualification must observe these special information.
Documents required for an application:
- You will find a sheet named “ECTS” after you have logged in to the special online application portal (exception: Materials Science). Please fill the form and submit it.
- Complete university transcript of record (semester mark sheets), listing your subjects and grades. If your final year transcripts are not yet available, you need to submit an official provisional transcript or an official letter of your registrar, dean or academic supervisor, listing the remaining subjects and, if possible, the prospective grades as well as the prospective final grade average.
- Bachelor's degree certificate or equivalent including your aggregate mark or grade average. In case you will receive your Bachelor's degree not before the end of the application deadline you also can and have to apply until the deadline. Please enclose a certification from your university (forecasting your degree until end of current semester / before starting the Master's program at TUHH / sample) and your transcript of records.
- the module discription of the study programe you are studying. Please make sure that the module handbook belongs to your course cohort (date of issue). Notes on the module handbook: A module handbook contains information on duration, credit points, examination types, requirements, learning outcomes and forms, workload, contents and persons responsible for the modules and courses of each degree programme. It also defines the access requirements for the individual modules. As part of the application process, it is important that such a document is submitted, as it is the only way to determine professional competence. A mere listing of the teaching contents in examination regulations, for example, does not meet the requirements.
- if the undergraduate course you are enrolling in has not been completed in German, we require a proof of language proficiency at the time of application.
Please check the processing status on our special online application portal in regular intervals. We do only communicate with you on this portal. Please check your email account in regular intervals too.
Please note: You will find information about admission or refusal in your online application portal only. Missed deadlines resulting from not retrieving the applicant status are your own responsibility.