Current information for first-semester students and interested people
What is it about?
With the StartING@TUHH program the TUHH aims at supporting you in your first semester here. With its continuous counseling and support services StartING@TUHH helps to give you a successful start into your studies here and hopefully achieve academic success. StartING@TUHH tutorials for self-organized learning and studying will be offered for students of all bachelor programs in the winter semester 2020/2021. The Engineering Science-tutorial takes place in English; the others are in German:
- Allgemeine Ingenieurwissenschaften (B.Sc.)
- Engineering Science (B.Sc.) (formerly General Engineering Science)
- Bauingenieur- und Umweltingenieurwesen (B.Sc.)
- Bioverfahrenstechnik (B.Sc.)
- Computational Informatics (B.Sc.)
- Data Science (B.Sc.)
- Elektrotechnik (B.Sc.)
- Energie- und Umwelttechnik (B.Sc.)
- Informatik-Ingenieurwesen (B.Sc.)
- Logistik und Mobilität (B.Sc.)
- Maschinenbau (B.Sc.)
- Mechatronik (B.Sc.)
- Schiffbau (B.Sc.)
- Verfahrenstechnik (B.Sc.)
- Technomathematik (B.Sc.)
The tutorials are moderate sized groups that are guided and supervised by older students. The tutors, also TUHH students, are students of higher semesters and are prepared for their tutorial jobs through intensive training.
The program has been a part of the vast range of services the Student Counseling Center of the TUHH offers since 2002. It is supported by the university administration as a key factor in helping the students with their start at the TUHH and all related requirements.
What topics are covered in the tutorials?
Generally the tutorial is supposed to offer a framework for discussing all types of topics related to studying at the TUHH.
- What do I expect of my studies – what do my studies expect of me?
- Where can I find what? Who are the correct contacts?
- How can I best organize my studies? What do I have to do when?
- How can I ideally schedule my time – during the semester and during exams?
- How can I learn effectively?
- What motivates me to study and learn? What keeps me from it?
- How can I best prepare myself for my exams?
- What are the institutes researching?
- How can I find a room in Harburg? What is it like living in Hamburg and on campus?
Topics that are relevant for each bachelor program specifically are also discussed in the tutorials (i.e. fields of specialization, internships, etc.).
You are given the opportunity to exchange experiences, make contacts, put together study groups, and also build friendships.
When does it start?
The kick-off events of StartING@TUHH take place during the orientation week, which is organized by the student organizations. These are separate for each of the bachelor programs. In order to participate in the tutorial you either have to attend the event or have someone else fill in for you since the mandatory sign-up for the groups takes place here.
The groups meet for the first time at the end of the kick-off event. The complete event (kick-off event and first meeting) takes about 2.5 hours.
The tutorial then takes place at a set time and day weekly during the first semester.
Dates and Times for the kick-off events will be published here in fall 2020.