Proof of Language Proficiency (Sprachnachweis)

Please inform yourself beforehand about the requested proof of language and the language requirement of your host university. If you do not find the relevant information on the websites of your host university, please contact us. As general rule: it should be a proof of a B2 level in the teaching language, though for TU Delft for example it should be C1.

Application TUHH Student Exchange (Erasmus, overseas) & TUHH Funding (Promos, mobility funds)

Please note that the majority of universities who do not ask for a proof of language nevertheless rely on TUHH to have checked the language levels. Therefore the upload of a relevant language certificate is compulsory.

You need to upload the proof of the requested level in the working/teaching language (B1, B2, C1 etc.) directly with your online application. Please make sure that you upload a certificate which clearly indicates your level. A simple proof of participation at a language course is not enough - neither is an online self-assessment! Some partner universities require additional proof of basic knowledge in the language of the country. In that case, we need two certificates.

A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 are the language proficiency levels used by the Council of Europe's Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). The Council of Europe also provides an orientation grid (in various languages) to better understand the levels.
For further questions on language requirements and language proofs, please, turn to the International Office (E. Wilberg / B.Illmann).

Foreign Language Certificates & Tests

The Volkshochschule Hamburg also offers the DAAD-language certificate test. We also provide information on other language tests and certificates and were to obtain them.

Foreign Language Classes at TUHH

Foreign language classes at TUHH and German language classes at TUHH are currently coordinated by Kirsten Petersen.
TUHH offers language classes through a cooperation with the 'Volkshochschule Hamburg' (public adult education centre).