Recognition of Credits

Erasmus+ student exchange

Ahead of the period spent abroad, a learning agreement is written up as part of the application to the Erasmus partner university. This governs recognition of your academic performance in advance of your time abroad. The learning agreement establishes both the study program for the period abroad (course titles and content; generally, this includes the number of ECTS credits) and the educational components at the TUHH that are replaced by your studies abroad and no longer have to be completed at the TUHH.  The learning agreement is signed by the student and the participating universities. At the TUHH, it is signed first by the study coordinator and then by the Deputy Dean International at the school of study. Applicants selected by the TUHH can find further information and form on the mobility portal.

When drafting the learning agreement, a 1:1 equivalence of individual courses is not expected. Instead, a full package of courses totalling around 30 ECTS credits per semester must be equivalent to the courses that you would have completed at the TUHH. The credits completed should be recognised in full. Deviations from this shall be justified by the study programme coordinator.

Necessary alterations to the learning agreement, which may first occur when at the host university, are to be instigated immediately by the student.

After the student’s return, all successfully completed study credits, for which recognition was agreed in the learning agreement, will be recorded by the examination office. For this, ‘Table D’ is filled out. This also gives reasons for any deviations from the original agreement that occurred, for example, because a course was not completed. Don't forget to attach the grading scale when handing in the transcript.

The conversion of marks is dependent on whether the host university has issued ECTS marks. If this is the case, there is a table for converting ECTS marks into TUHH marks.

In all other cases, the so-called modified Bavarian formula is applied: 

Here, Pmax is the best possible mark, Pmin is the minimum pass mark and P is the student’s mark.

TUHH student exchange (overseas, including ISAP)

For studying at partner universities of TUHH, a study contract is concluded before the start of the stay abroad. The courses listed in the contract and the number of ECTS will be  clarified  with the "Studiengangskoordinator" of the course concerned. If possible, 30 ECTS at the partner university should be reached.

After returning from abroad, please submit the documents of the partner university to the Examinations Office together with an updated version of the  study contract. Don't forget to attach the grading scale when handing in the transcript.

Documents which are not issued in German or English are to be submitted with a German or English translation by a publicly appointed translator from Germany. All documents can be downloaded in Mobility-Online.

If you have studied abroad outside of an exchange program, the recognition of your credits gained abroad outside of an exchange  program will be dealt with by an Audit Committee. Please submit a corresponding application to the examination office after returning to TUHH.

Here, Pmax is the best possible mark, Pmin is the minimum pass mark and P is the student’s mark.

The grades are always converted according to the modified Bavarian formula. Pmax is the possible top grade, Pmin is the grade with which you are still existing, and P is the grade of the student.

Free Mover

TUHH-Students, who are studying abroad outside an existing TUHH exchange cooperation, have to turn to the examination board (Prüfungsausschuss) to have their foreign credits recognised at TUHH, after their stay. Their first point of contact is the examination office (Prüfungsamt).