Philips Medical Systems
Development of a concept for a storage area within a Philips production site
Description of the company
Philips Medical Systems develops and produces advanced X-ray systems for digital imaging in Hamburg-Fuhlsbüttel and employs around 1,100 people.
The New-Production-Introduction (NPI) phase of our x-ray products includes a comprehensive quality check for every manufactured system. During this quality check, the subsystems of our x-ray products are assembled and the test of the assembled system. The subsytems and further order-related material is stored in an area in front of the quality test stations. After a successful test the system is disassembled and moved to the shipping area.
The storage area in its current state leads to problems like:
- Incorrect allocation of material to orders
- Searching effort
- Logistical effort
- DEFOA (defect on arrival) cases because of missing material at the customers site
Aims of the project
Development of a concept for a storage area and an action plan for the reduction of logistical effort and mistakes (DEFOA).
- As-Is Analysis (incl. weaknesses of current layout and the requirements of the production)
- Development of a to-be concept
- Derivation of an action plan (incl. cost-benefit analysis)
Target group (students)
This project is particularly suitable for students of Production Management, Supply Chain & Logistics, Medical Technology and Industrial Engineering. But other disciplines are also very welcome. Experience with Lean Management concepts and with the 7 MUDA's is advantageous. The most important thing is to enjoy initiative and communication.
Please reserve these dates:
- 17 October: Information event with te companies, from 10am to 12pm, mainbuilding A; LuK
- 24 October: Kick-off event, from 2pm to 6pm (obligatory attendance)
- 27 October and 3 November: Project management course, full day (obligatory attendance)
- Order clarification meeting: Mo 29-10-18, 16:00 - 18:00 Uhr, Philips, Röntgenstr. 24, 22335 Hamburg